St. Charles’ Faith-filled Prayer Gardens
In 2011, the 8th grade graduating class gifted St. Charles Parish with a Prayer Garden. They worked together to create a place where others can find comfort, peace, and joy. The garden continues to grow with the addition of Memory Lane. Stars in this area of the garden have names of loved ones who have left us. The Holy Family Garden, Lifetime Garden, and Pentecostal Garden are also areas of interest. Through the generosity of parishioners, statues, a wall fountain and arbor have been added, as well as other accents.
You’re invited to visit the Gardens often and see what each new season brings. Symbols of the Holy Trinity and Mary will be found here. Also a place for learning, stop by and see if you can find the following related to the Catholic faith:
- Cross symbolizes God’s love for us in sending his Only Son to die on the cross.
- Bird feeders represent the Old and New Testaments.
- Birdhouses stand for faith, hope, and love.
- Large rocks are the 4 gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
- Silver chimes recall the Torah or Law, the first 5 books of the Old Testament.
- Days of creation, depicted on the sidewalk.
- Sacraments: Baptism, Reconciliation, First Communion, Confirmation, Marriage, Holy Orders, Anointing of the Sick, depicted on the sidewalk.
- Rose of Sharon plants stand for the 8 beatitudes.
- Stepping stones reveal the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
- Commandments, depicted on the sidewalk.
- Plants in the Pentecostal Garden symbolize the 11 faithful disciples.
- Small stones with crosses represent the 12 points of belief in the Apostles’ Creed. Spring 2016
In 2011 our graduating class decided to help create a very special gift for our school. After various fundraisers and lots of hard work by Jenny Nice, Schawn Shoepke, and Mike Nice our "Prayer Garden" came to fruition. The class itself helped with the tasks of getting the area ready, the initial plantings, and creating the stepping stones throughout the garden. To learn more about this truly beautiful and unique garden please click on the link below. You may also visit the garden. It is an inspirational, as well as educational, area. We thank those who continue to maintain and add to the gift that continues to give back to all of the St. Charles family!